Rev N. F Carter’s 1895 book History of Pembroke, N. H. 1730-1895: In Two Volumes, Vol. II.-Genealogical includes a chapter titled THE SHACKFORD FAMILY which starts with Theodore Shackford, the son of John and Dorcas (Lovejoy) Shackford.
Rev Carter didn’t seem to have a birth year for Theodore so we looked further and found Theodore Shackford in two different applications to the Daughters of the American Revolution, both of which use Theodore (and others) as the basis of their applications. Mrs Nellie Blake Appleton, no 25281 uses the birth year of 1825 in her 1897 application and Mrs Gertrude Colvin Ireland uses the date of 1833. Both applications state that Theodore was born in Chester, New Hampshire and was a member of the Committee of Safety of New Hampshire and Nellie’s also states that he signed the Association Test.
We did find sources for Theodore’s marriage to Mary Bartlett on Feb 14, 1754 and also believe he is the Theodore found in the 1790 census in Rockingham and the 1800 census in Allenstown. We’ll research the descendents listed in this book in future blogs. Meanwhile, if you’re a descendant of Theodore, you are probably eligible to apply to become a member of the Daughters or Sons of the American Revolution!
CXX. THE SHACKFORD FAMILY.
1. Theodore1 settled in Allenstown; m. Mary Bartlett; and d. 14
Oct. 18, 1809. She d. 1 Apr. 1807. Ch:
2. Sally2 b, 1755; m. 177?, David Richardson of Allenstown; d. 15 Apr.
1842 (CX111, 12).
3. Theodore2 b. 7 July 1770; m. (1) Dorothy Kimball (LXXIV, 52) (2)
(3) Theodore 2 (Theodore1) was b. 7 July 1770 in Chester; m. (1) 27
Nov. 171, Dorothy, dau. of Michael Kimball, (2) 15 Mar 1824,
Hannah Field of Merrimack; and d. Nov. 1844. His 1st w. was
b. 16 May 1772, and d. 29 Oct. 1822. Ch:
4. John3 b. 27 Aug 1792; m. Susan Gibson
5. Susanna3 b. 6 Sep. 1795; d. 10 Feb 1809
6. Samuel3 b 17 Mar 1799 d. 5 Apr 18?6
7. Nathaniel3 b. 22 Jul 1801; m. Abigail Bailey
8. Betsey3 b. 16 Oct 1805; m. 10 May 1827 Mark Richardson of Pembroke
9. Susannah3 b. 7 Nov 1800; m. James Morrison (XCVII, 24).
10. Leonard Kimball3, b. 23 May 1814; d. 6 Dec 1824
(4) John3(Theodore, 2 Theodore1) was b. 27 Aug. 1792; m. Susan
Gibson of Newburyport, Mass; res. Pembroke. Ch b. in Pem-
11. Edrick; 4 m. 25 Dec 1837, Caroline M. Williams of Hocksett; res.
12. Ann;4 m. Isaac Fitts, res. Nashua
13. Adeline; 4; m. John F. Gilbert of Pembroke; d. (LV.2)/
14. Catherine;4 m. ——Wilson; res. New York
15. Wallace;4 m.; res. Nova Scotia
(7) Nathaniel3 (Theodore, 2, Theodore1) was b. 22 Jul 1801; m Abi-
gail Bailey. Ch:
16. Leonard; m. Lydia——; res. Cambridge, Mass
17. Mary4; m. res. Charles Emerson; res Allenstown
18. Bailey;4 m; res. Boston, Mass.
19. Jane;4 m. Nathaniel Chapman of Greenland; d.
20. Charles;4 m. —Dow; res. Boston, Mass.
21. Nellie;4 m. John Gilman Bartlett; res. Allenstown
22. Betsey;4 b. June 1831; d. 27 Jan 1832.
All posts on this website are a work in progress. We’d love to learn of any corrections or additions to the information shared here as we are hoping to learn more of these Shackford families. Also – if you liked this blog, please like the post here or at http://www.facebook.com/shackfordgenealogy) as that helps share the post with others. Thanks!
Carter N. F., Rev, History of Pembroke, N. H. 1730-1895: In Two Volumes, Vol. II.-Genealogical (Concord, N. H.: Republican Press Association, 1895), page 295; digital images, Hathi Trust (http://babel.hathitrust.org/ : accessed 17 March 2016.
Dolliver Louise Pearsons, Lineage Book National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution Vol XX 19001-20000, 1897 (Washington, D.C.: 1905), page 100-101; digital images, Hathi Trust (http://babel.hathitrust.org/ : accessed 18 January 2014; Mrs. Nellie Blake Appleton, 25281.
North America, Family Histories, 1500-2000,” digital images, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 15 December 2016), Mrs Gertrude Colvin Ireland, descendent of Theodore Shackford accepted as no 163802 in Daughters of the American Revolution.
Copyright 2017 Joanne Shackford Parkes (sharing a link to this post is appreciated but please do not copy this material and paste it elsewhere)